Saturday, August 1, 2009

Lost and Sound 01: Slow Hands

It is my pleasure to have Slow Hands, the latest edition to the Wolf + Lamb family, kick off the first of my exclusive mix series, "Lost and Sound." I plan on selecting a variety of artists who I think represent the diversity of DJ/producer talent in NYC. Slow Hands, “one half” of NY’s duo, Worst Friends, first caught my ear at the last Wolf + Lamb/Crosstown Rebels party with a beautiful morning set that soothed our twisted minds after such a craaaaazy night. I knew I wanted to reach out to him and find out more about this guy behind such refreshingly unique music that really captures a new hybrid of yet-to-be-defined future sound. I got a chance to pick his mind (see interview below) and found out more about this man of mystery, what he’s up to these days and why his music is an extension of his rich musical knowledge and eclectic taste.
For the set below he’s blended in a seriously awesome tracklist…(including the premier of his collaboration with Soul Clap…hence the “Soul Hands” moniker) that make this mix deep, trippy, groovy and all round aurally caressing...classic Slow Hands style. That being said, enough of me babbling…I’ll let the man and his music do the talking:


--------
Tracklist:
1. Wendy Carlos - Title Music From A Clockwork Orange
2. Manuel Tur - Stay (12" Extended Instrumental)
3. Tim Toh - Six
4. Soul Hands - Passionate Fingers
5. Iron Curtis - Peoples (Ekkohaus' Down With The Sax Mix)
6. Baeka - Right At It (Radio Edit)
7. Thomas Brinkmann - Isch (Soulphiction Remisch)
8. Hot Chip - Hold On (Mock & Toof Remix)
9. Matzak - Magneto
10. Noze - Matches
11. Phreek Plus One - Skyline
12. DJ Mujava - Township Funk (Crazy P Remix)
13. Bottin - No Static
14. BLK JKS - Mystery (Osborne Radio Edit Remix)
-------


You are a refreshing addition to the Wolf + Lamb ‘family,’ how did you become affiliated with them?
My good friend Jakub, who owns Moodgadget Recordings, which I released my first EP on had forwarded Wolf + Lamb the live set I had performed at the More Or Less party in Baltimore. W + L are all about having a tight knit group of artists, so they asked me to come hang out and listen to some music and see if we could all stand one another. We hit it off really well, and they went on to podcast that same live set, and release "Fast Tongue."

When/how did music become a part of your life?
Birth.
I think I know the words to every Steely Dan, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, and Allman Brothers album ever created.
I went to see B.B. King play for my 15th birthday, and Jonny Lang was opening for him, and he was about a year or 2 older than me, I was like “man, I can play like that”, my friend that I was with said “prove it” . . . two days later I got a guitar for my birthday… I played music for twelve years and went to school for jazz and classical guitar and composition, but dropped out after a year and taught myself how to use a computer to make music.

How does it feel to play your music? Basically, what is it like for you behind the decks, listening to and playing the music you do?

DJing is really great because you play mostly other people’s music, and most often you enjoy it just as much if not more than the crowd does (hopefully). Nothing beats the feeling of actually playing your own music though, really playing it . . . not DJing it.
Both are fun, but it’s kind of like playing with your kids, where as DJing is like playing with someone else’s kids . . . still super fun, but not the same.

Can you elaborate on what you’re working on now? Seems like you have a couple projects you’re working on these days.

Well, I am coming off a bit of a break at the moment. I have been doing a lot of music over the last couple years, and needed to clear my head a bit. But I have 3 tracks to finish with my friend Nick (he is One Of Them). John [other half of Worst Friends] and I have to finish an EP for Ghostly International and a couple tracks for some other labels, as well as some stuff on our own label as Worst Friends. And I plan on starting a new set of tracks for the W+L boys in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment