Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On the Road: Mathew Jonson



"Music is a medium to open up things inside of yourself and others. It is a way to see things. A way to travel. A way to communicate with all forms of life. It is the key that opens the gateway."

Mathew Jonson is Canada’s techno poster boy. He first surfaced onto the international radar in 2001 with his debut on the Victoria-based Itiswhatitis Recordings, receiving a big nod of approval from heads throughout the global techno community. Since then he has been the face of his country’s growing pool of contemporary electronic music pioneers and continues to push the envelope with his inventive approach to electronica and his applauded live acts. Over the course of his career he’s established his own label, Wagon Repair and has pumped out a solid discography on respected sophisticated imprints such as Minus and Perlon. But after all that on his bill he’s never released a full-length debut album. That is until now, with Agents of Time released earlier this summer, a compilation of tracks that span the various shades of Jonson’s taste and style. In light of this new release, we reached out to Jonson while he was in Ibiza during his summer tour and chatted about post-release reactions, the great outdoors and magic through music.

Where in the world are you now?

Ibiza for a few days. I played at Space last night with Chris Liebing.

Your album, Agents of Time, is your first solo full length, what inspired you to tackle this project and how long has it been in the works?

It's a collection of music from the last year for the most part. I have wanted to do an album for a while but was focusing more on Cobblestone Jazz up till now. The inspiration came from a few different things. Some of the music was made for film, some for the dance floor, some as an expression of how I was feeling.

What did you learn from the process of making this album, in terms of your own production and skills? Any personal revelations?

I'm always working on trying to be more intuitive with the way that I write. Letting the music come to me rather than trying to force things is really important to me.

Would you say that Agents of Time is a well-rounded album that conveys the range of style, taste and production skills? What impression do you hope listeners will take away from listening to it?

I wanted it to be something nice for people to listen to from the beginning to the end. It's so different when you think about having a collection of music together on a cd rather than doing singles for DJs like I'm used too.

How do you feel now that you¹ve released your first solo full-length? How do you deal with criticism?

I'm really happy I did it! Now I think I will probably focus on doing another one soon too as its fun and a new idea and feeling for me. It's interesting to hear what people think about it all. Everyone likes and dislikes different parts. Some people really like all the slow stuff others the dance floor tracks. It’s kind of funny because some people tell me I'm crazy to release some of the music but then I have others tell me that those tracks are their favorite. I like writing music that captures a feeling. It doesn't have to be for everyone but it is all a part of who I am.

How has your sound evolved since last year? Should we be expecting to hear a different style in your sets over the course of your upcoming tour?

When I play in clubs it will always be for the dance floor. At festivals though where its more like a concert setting you may hear me play some of the other stuff though from time to time. It just depends where I am I guess.

What is your favorite track on the album and why?

Agents of Time is my favorite by far. I think because it makes me feel really empowered when I hear it. For me it sounds like technology and something organic is mixing together.

Do you like going on tour/being an international on-demand DJ? If so, what do you enjoy about it? Do you have a favorite place or venue you like playing in over others?

I think playing outside is my favorite, in the forest or close to the ocean. Its so nice to listen to music in nature. For me my favorite festival in the world is Labyrinth in Japan. I'm really excited to go back for there 10 year anniversary in September.

What kind of “magic" comes through music, according to you?

Music is a medium to open up things inside of yourself and others. It is a way to see things. A way to travel. A way to communicate with all forms of life. It is the key that opens the gateway.

Where were you when you forgot to go home?

In the ocean.


1 comment:

  1. I Love this Track....... One of the Tracks that would never be boring :-)

    ReplyDelete